Support our Sponsors! - Portrait Pools.Com

Play the Intro!

Club Profile

Match Reports
Results 2015
Results 2014
Results 2013
Results 2012
Results 11/12
Results 10/11
Results 09/10
Results 08/09
Results 07/08
Results 06/07
Results 05/06
Results 04/05
Results 03/04
Results 02/03
Results 01/02
Results 91/92
Trophy Holders
Hot or Not
Contact Us
Code of Conduct
Club Honours
Club Records
Player Records
Trophy Holders
Lancaster Rugby

Members Only


Folly Lane 40pts vs 24pts Heysham Atoms

North West Mens Premier Division

The Atoms troubles on the road continued with an ill-disciplined defeat against bottom of the league side Folly Lane from Swinton. The Atoms made an excellent start to the game being 18 points up in the first 12 mins as they tried to blow the opposition away in the opening exchanges. Two minutes later came the most decisive moment of the game as the Atoms second row Andrew Collins had a head explosion and was given a red card and the Atoms were reduced to 12 men for the remaining 66 minutes of the game. From here the Atoms lost their composure, allowing Folly to get under their skin and getting on the wrong side of the referee who awarded the Atoms only 1 penalty in the remaining three-quarters of the game – which is a frightening statistic at this level.

The Atoms showed their attacking intent straight from the kick off moving the ball smartly to the right edge only for the ball to be put down with open spaces in front of the Atoms winger. Folly too spilt the ball on their first attack but this time the Atoms punished them in the best possible way as lively Atoms winger Jack Lawton picked up the loose ball and sprinted 80 meters to score the opening try.
Straight from the re-start the Atoms made big in-roads with folly finding centre Tom Crookall particularly difficult to put down. Billy Livingstone jumped out to the blind side on the last tackle finding Simon Brooks who cut inside the cover going under the posts.

The early onslaught was maintained and loose forward Mark Walker spun his way out of a tackle to score his 2nd try of the season and give the Atoms an impressive 18 nil lead.
Although going down to 12 men is a disruption and puts added pressure on the rest of the team the Atoms have only themselves to blame for the way they fell apart so badly after this. This was the green light for Folly to have a real go at the Atoms and their England Student International prop forward barged his way over.

This was quickly followed up by a second try as the Atoms looked in disarray. The alarm bells were ringing loud and clear when the Atoms were reduced to 11 players as second row Simon Brooks was sent to the sin bin for 10 mins for a late charge on the Folly kicker. In this big turnaround in such a short period of time the Atoms lead was reduced to 8 points and they were having to defend with 2 numbers light.
Atoms star full back Michael Forrest was the shining light for his team all afternoon and he cut back against the grain onto a Mark Walker pass to score the Atoms final try of the game in the 35th minute. Billy Livingstone added the extras for the 4th time as the Atoms made it 24 . 10 with time running away in the half. The eventful first 40 mins was brought to a close with a late Folly try that gave them something to really play for in the second half.

Within 5 mins of the opening the Atoms conceded a soft try again as their lead was slipping away at an alarming rate.

Getting on the wrong side of the referee is fraught with danger and the Atoms found themselves on the wrong end of a horrendous penalty count against them. This lead to them conceding territory and allowing no kind of continuity in attack. This directly lead to Folly drawing level and overtaking the Atoms score in quick time.

When back up to 12 the Atoms youngsters decided it was time to show their worth with Lawton, Murray and Forrest all putting in some lung busting work in defence.

As the Atoms were just finding their feet again and playing at the right end of the field the Atoms were reduced to 11 men again as the same player was sin binned for a further 10 mins and with it any chance of an unlikely victory.

Two scores to Folly's left winger secured the win for the Swinton side as the stretched Atoms defenders were done for lack of numbers.

Young winger Luke Charlson came on for his first team debut for the final 10 mins but his enthusiasm couldn't inspire his team to any more points.

Portrait Pools Man of the Match 1 Michael Forrest 2 Jack Lawton 3 Tom Crookall

Next game Saturday 5th September at home to league leaders Widnes West Bank Bears ko 2.30 at the Trimpell all welcome




RFL website

NWCOAARL website

Contact Us | Ladies | Mens | Juniors | Club Profile | Home